Sunday, October 5, 2008

I still like it here!

Lazy Sunday

Well, I would have posted sooner, but not too much has happened around here that is note-worthy. This week I finally did the things I have been putting off for a month now: completely organized, completely decorated, and did a top to bottom deep clean of my house. So we were mostly moved in, with just a few small things to go, but we finally did it, and our house is 100% done. Also, I officially became an Oregonian. That's right, I changed my license to an Oregon license. This I was all-too eager to do, since I had to give up my Nevada license for Utah residency for school, so for the past 2 years I've been sporting a UT license, and I was more than happy to fork it over and upgrade to Oregon. No hard feelings against Utah (I am surprised to admit, I actually kind of miss it). I'm also a little ashamed to admit that I failed the written test the first time I took it. You know, the test that 15 year olds take to get their permits- yeah, sad, I know. I did get a 76%, but apparently they recently changed it so you had to get an 80% to "pass". Hello, the last time I checked, 60% was a passing grade!! For me, the second time was a charm, and I passed with flying colors (an 86%, to be exact). It was a little humbling having to do seconds at the DMV. The beginning of this week, the weather was gorgeous, and like any true Oregonian, I jumped at the chance to soak up some sunshine. Monday we went to the beach with Kristin and Ashley (Jade's brothers' wives), and Tuesday we went to the Portland zoo with Ashley. First let me elaborate a little bit. The weather wasn't nice by Vegas standards, but for Oregon, 70 degrees and sunny is a rare occurrence in September, so everyone goes outside. Ashley even got her girls out of school early to celebrate the sunshine. Also, the beach wasn't so much a beach, as a sandy strip of land in front of one of the channels that leads to the Columbia River. Nevertheless, we had a great time, and I was glad I got to have some "outside" fun before the rain started on Wednesday. Luckily for me, I actually like the rain, and I've been really enjoying the weather. It's not my first choice (I prefer things about 30 degrees warmer and a sun), but I really like it here, and the rain doesn't bother me at all. So far, Portland has been great, and we've been having fun. Jade's best friend from high school and his wife have a baby Peyton that is 4 months older than our Peyton. We went over to dinner at their house last week, and decided to let the girls have a bath together. The results were darling. Hopefully in 18 years they're good friends and they look back at those pictures and smile. So that about does it for this week. Hopefully more wonderful things happen so that I can write more exciting posts.

Peyton started doing this really cute (albeit messy) thing where she pulls her skirt/dress/shirt up and sucks on it. Here I caught her in action.

We love the zoo! And the sun!

Afore mentioned bath

Also, I feel like I should write about a super funny experience that happened while I was in the hospital, having Peyton. So most of you don't know Orem Community Hospital, but it's a really small hospital, with really amazing ratings, some of the best ratings in the country, in fact. Anyway, the staff was incredible, and they treated me like a princess. I really was getting Royal Treatment, and I felt more than a little spoiled. Well, they have a fridge full of food that they will bring the patients, for when they have munchies. One afternoon, my little sister decided she was hungry, so she was going to check out the fridge. She decided on a frozen burrito, which she put in the microwave. She came back to my room, and said she was microwaving herself a burrito, and we all pretty much went back to whatever we were doing. A few minutes later, we smelled smoke, and a ton of fire alarms started going off. I was really scared for Peyton, and sent Jade to investigate. While he was gone, we all slowly started to realize what had happened. The package said 1 and 1/2 to 2 minutes, which my sister mistakenly read as 11 to 12 minutes, and so the burrito, and the microwave, caught on fire. The kitchen door automatically locked itself (as a precautionary matter for the patients), and no one could get in the kitchen to put the fire out. It was quite an ordeal. I was mortified, because I felt like they had been so good to me, and my little sister blew it. Luckily the staff was supremely gracious, laughed about it, and didn't treat me any worse after the incident. One of the nurses even gave my sister a bag of candy, and told her she was glad it happened, because that microwave wasn't very good anyway, and "thank you" for giving them something to liven up their day. I never blogged that story, but I figured it was definitely blog-worthy, now that I can laugh about it!

8 comments:

Tara said...

The pictures are too cute!! And that story of the burrito is hilarious. Im sure its a story youll never forget!!

Meg and Ryan said...

Oh my goodness, Peyton is getting so big, and she is sooo darling!! I am so glad that you are having a good experience in Oregon; i want to come see you!! How funny that Chey caught the hospital on fire, ah ha, great story. I love and miss you guys!!!

The Rees' said...

glad to hear you are doing well, getting organized (very fulfilling) and loving your new home! Chey sounds a little like me.. although over heating your burrito is a little less of a "goof" than putting foil in.. WOW! Ya lets jut leave it at that and call it an unfortunate "mishie moment" lol p.s. P is really becoming quite the little lady!

Unknown said...

Peyton is sooo cute! I have to admit I'm a little jealous of your zoo trip. How fun! And I'm glad you're to the point where you can laugh about the Orem microwave story! It was pretty funny! And trust me...the nurses meant it when they said they were glad for an excuse to get a new one and for some excitement on the floor! Haha. Glad you guys are liking Oregon. I've always loved it there!

Morgan said...

I'm glad you guys are finally settled! That was a funny story about your little sister and the burrito! Peyton is so cute! I love your pictures and reading your posts!

Anonymous said...

She is getting so big! We miss you guys and always hanging out!

Kristie said...

peyton is getting so grown up! what a cutie! ok, so the part about FINALLY getting 100% settled in? i don't know how you are so on the ball miss ashton, because i have lived in this house since june, and i just now started decorating! and i'm pretty sure i have a stray packed box or two in the coat closet :) good for you, and i'm glad you are enjoying the transition to oregon!

Dana Wartena Thelin said...

We sure enjoy your wonderful blog and the fun you are having as a newlwed couple with their first kids... Jade and Ashley, you are clearly wonderful parents and are doing such a good job raising your little ones. You write a lot in your blog and that good stuff should be kept forever.
We have linked your blog to THELIN CHINA JOURNAL Blog, so everyone can see what the other parts of our extended family are doing. This will definitely increased the numbers who visit and read/view our blogs. Check ours out Jade at: www.jayanddanathelin.blogspot.com
You and your family are all invited to visit and view our China Adventures.
Uncle Jay and Aunt Dana Thelin, in Jinan China.