Saturday, June 19, 2010

Vegas (part I)

In an effort to not be completely overwhelmed when my month-long trip is over, I am trying to be proactive and post about the first "leg" (is that the right expression?) of our big adventure. We have been having a blast in Las Vegas, enjoying temperatures in the low to high 100's (with the exception of a freak cold front, where it was only in the 80's) and more sunshine than we've seen in the last 2 years in Oregon put together (maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but it sometimes feels that way). Our trip started with a near empty flight from Portland to Salt Lake City. I took it as a good omen for the vacation. We got to Salt Lake in time for one of my very best friends, Stephanie to do my hair, and then to go to her bridal shower! My mom and Cheyanne had been in Salt Lake, so they decided to stay for the shower, and then drive Peyton and me home with them to Vegas. That was where the good omen wore off. We thought it would be smart to drive at night, when Peyton would presumably be asleep the whole time. It didn't happen that way. We had to drive a small 5 seat, uncomfortable, truck home since my family was borrowing my mom's roomy SUV, and we also brought my grandfather back to Las Vegas. 5 small seats, 5 people. Not fun. The drive took forever, and Peyton cried about 2 1/2 hours of it. By the time we got home, we were all super grouchy. The next few days were pure chaos as we struggled to get everything ready for Chaz's Eagle Scout Court of Honor, Chaz's graduation, and Steph's bachelorette party. Wednesday Jade gave me a huge surprise: himself! He flew into Las Vegas a night early. I was so glad to see him. Thursday was the big Eagle day. My best friend Megan flew down for the bachelorette party and she was able to help a ton with the Court of Honor. The ceremony (is it called a ceremony?) was quite beautiful, with a surprise (bag)piper- my dad's and brothers' favorite- and many beautiful words spoken by some of the most important men in Chaz's life. It was a great night, and all our blood, sweat and tears paid off. Friday we went to Chaz's graduation. It was the fastest graduation I've ever been to- about an hour and 15 minutes- pretty painless as far as those things go. We had his luncheon at Brio- a yummy Italian restaurant Town Square. We let Peyton get almost naked and run around in the play-fountains to burn off some energy before lunch (though it didn't keep her calm the whole meal). Then Steph, Jessica and Brittney joined Megan and I for some bachelorette fun (while Jade stayed far away from all the girly-stuff, on the golf course)! We laid out, went to really yummy dinner at Firefly- a tapas restaurant overlooking the Fremont Street, shopped a bunch, gambled a little, made Steph do silly things, danced a lot, took a pole dancing class (at a studio, with a few other women), and went to a country bar where we learned lots of line dances and danced pretty much all night. We were all exhausted by Sunday, but we had had so much fun! Sunday after the girls left, I went to Kelley's house for brunch with my best high-school friends- the stilettos. It was the first time the 5 of us had all been together since my wedding! It was so great to see those girls. I adore them. Monday we ran around like crazy people trying to get things ready for Peyton's birthday party. It turned out to be so much fun. Highlights include the "discovery" sandbox that we filled with candy (and some coins for the older kids) and the water fountains that the kids never tired of running around in. Tuesday my mom and Cheyanne left for girls' camp, and I stayed at home with Jamie, my sison (cousin who lived with me most of my childhood, so is like a sister to me) and tried to make sure the boys didn't burn down the house. Peyton and I went to story time at Town Square, played in more fountains on a play-date with Harbor, Cove, Jackson and Adalynn, and did a whole bunch of swimming and park-hopping. I got to visit with one of my best friends (from 9th grade!) Alicia, who is going to have a baby in December! I also got to go to my Grandpa's sealing to his new bride, Nelda, as well as her endowment session. It was really special to be able to be a part of that. And the coolest part of the whole thing was that they were sealed by the same man who sealed Jade and I, and also in the very same sealing room! It brought back some good memories for me.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashton, Oregon misses you...glad you are having a fun time! You picked the right month to be gone, record rainfall for the month of June, but things are looking up!