Thursday, June 16, 2011

Peyton's 3 Year Letter

My sweet angel baby Peyton,
I can hardly believe you're 3 years old! Actually, now that I put it that way, I can't believe you're just now 3 years old. You seem so grown up to me. People have been asking you if you were 3 for about 6-8 months now. This has been a fantastic year of learning and social development for you. You have always been quite outgoing and friendly, but this year you really developed your true, darling personality. There is no toddler left in you at all- you are all "big girl".
Over the past year, you have learned so many new things. You started taking dance lessons, and started actual pre-gymnastics lessons (as opposed to the kinder-gym type classes you had taken before). You learned to dress and undress yourself completely, with no help. You learned your sense of style even more this year- you have an opinion about everything you wear, from the outfit to the accessories! You became 100% potty trained right after you turned 2, and much to my delight, you never have accidents. You learned how to put on makeup and how to chew gum without swallowing it. You learned manners (and almost always use them), and you learned to talk in complete sentences (usually paragraphs). You learned that you have the ability to make people laugh, and you're always doing funny and silly things to get a good laugh out of your audience. You learned how to pray all by yourself. You also learned how to negotiate to get what you want. You have such an incredible vocabulary that you express yourself perfectly clearly.
You spend all your time with me still, which I love. You are getting better at playing independently, though you almost always prefer me to play with you. You don't have a very long attention span for things like coloring or play-doh or puzzles, but you absolutely love helping me do "mommy" things like cooking, cleaning, doing the dishes, vacuuming, or doing my crafty projects. The thing I like to do most with you is taking a bath or shower together, then cuddling while we rock in the rocking chair and read books. You LOVE to read books, just like me! You also love to play with your babies, or toys that you play with with mom or dad; your helicopter and airplane building set, your train set, and your blocks.
Your favorite things to eat vary depending on the week. One day you'll love something, and the next, you won't touch it. Phases you've gone through this year include Easy Mac, yogurt parfaits, turkey dogs with ketchup, cucumbers with spices on them, green and black olives, mostly every kind of fruit, scrambled eggs, mush, Cheetos, “cheeto chips” which are Doritos, Top Ramen, fruit leathers, bell peppers, parmesan cheese, buttered toast with no crust, and edamame. You are always in the mood for chocolate milk out of a milk box, gum, and “special treats” which could be any kind of sweet. You inherited your daddy’s severe sweet tooth!
You make me laugh every single day. You have such a silly side to you, and at the same time you can be very serious. You are very selective about the affection you show, but when you choose to show it, you melt my heart. In the last month you started to say “I love you” to me without being prompted, and every time you say it, it makes me so happy. The things you get into trouble for most are for being sassy to me, pushing the boundaries, and testing me. You’re always very quick to say you’re sorry, and you usually try really hard to make good choices, though sometimes you tell me, “I don’t want to make good choices.” Sometimes you choose to learn the hard way that bad choices have negative consequences. You’re very intelligent though, and every move you make is very well thought out.
Every day you surprise me with how grown up you are. I tell people you’re 3, going on 13. You seem like such a big girl to me, and you always act so much older than you really are. You have an incredible memory, and you are the most social child I have ever met in my life. You will stop complete strangers to chat with them about their families, pets, and to get their name. You are so outgoing and friendly. Everyone we meet absolutely loves you, and everyone compliments you on how social you are.
You still don’t care much for TV or movies, but you do like to watch our home videos, as well as mom and dad’s wedding video. The only other movie that holds your attention is your potty training movie, “It’s Potty Time.” Other than that, you don’t watch anything. Because it’s rainy here most of the year, we try to get out of the house as much as possible, so we don’t get cabin fever. Some of our favorite places to go are Pump It Up, Jr. (a warehouse full of inflatable play structures), Munchkin Playland (a cafe with soft climbing structures inside for preschoolers and younger), OMSI, the Oregon Zoo (when it’s not cold and rainy), the Portland Children’s Museum, the play area at the mall, Playdate PDX (a huge indoor playground), and Outdoors In (another indoor playground).
You have become a little bookworm, like your mommy. You love to read, and if I would let you, we would read 10 books every night before bed. Your favorite books are Bootsie Barker Bites, Go Dogs Go, Fancy Nancy, Olivia, Pinkalicious, Time for Bed, Don’t Lick the Dogs, Oh the Pets You Can Get, and our family scrapbooks. You don't like to draw that much, but when you do, you usually draw letters to people, that you narrate while you color. Your room is pink and green and very cute.
You still love your binky, and I have decided to let you keep it until you're ready to give it up. You only have it at naptime and bedtime though, so it's not a problem. Usually when you're upset, you ask for me and want me to hold you, and if you hurt yourself, you always ask for your binky and face blankie. We have the same bedtime routine we've had for years; bath, teeth brushed, book, prayer, and in bed. Usually you want special kisses before bed- butterfly kisses on each eye, an Eskimo kiss and a fishy kiss. You sleep from about 7pm to 7am like clockwork every night. You still take a nice nap during the day, too. At the beginning of the year it was a 3 hour nap, but right after you turned 2½, it became a 2 to 2½ hour nap, depending on the day. It's a great refresher for you and for me.
Your best characteristics are your amazing personality and your big heart. I am so happy to have you as my best friend. You make me smile and laugh countless times every day. Whenever I am sick, sad or get hurt, you have so much empathy. You just care so much about other people! I’m so proud of you every single day. You are growing up to be a terrific little girl, and I just feel so lucky to be your mommy.
I love you so much, angel. I don’t feel like anyone has ever loved anyone else as much as I love you. You are my whole wide world, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. Your daddy and I are so happy and feel so blessed that you chose us to be your parents. You are the love of my life!
I love you,
Momma

0 comments: