Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Very Big Day

We had a very eventful day today! Peyton and I met our friends Jaime and Brooklyn at an amusement park called Oak's Park for "preschool day", where they are open only to preschoolers and their parents, and they just open the little kid rides. We had such a great time! Peyton wanted to do everything. She reminded me so much of myself; trying to map out what we were going to do next. It was cute. We rode the train, the tilt-a-whirl (that was a fun one even for me), the carousel, the big potato sack slide, the hot air balloon ferris wheel, and the rocking ship, and the girls were able to ride a couple rides by themselves- the motorcycles, the airplanes and the frog hopper. By the time we got home for nap, Peyton was very tired and very happy.
After dinner, Peyton helped Jade and I with a very special project... Putting together her "big girl room"! We have slowly been transitioning her room from a toddler room to a preschooler room. It's bittersweet for me because it means she's really growing up, but also that there will soon be a new baby. Surprisingly, she's not that into the new vibe of her room. I thought for sure she would be all over it, since she wants to be a big kid so badly, but she didn't love it like I thought she would. I think she has a little bit of my OCD, and is resistant to change. She just likes things in a certain way. She's particular. Sorry about passing that one on to you, Peyton. After story and prayers, we had a talk with her about the rules of her "big-girl bed" (no getting out- she has to call me), and discussed the consequences for choosing to not follow the rules (losing a sparkle bell out of her special bell jar she fills and gets to choose a prize). I reminded her that the deal is, she is only allowed to keep her binky if she doesn't give me any problems going to sleep; and that basically sealed the deal. I left the room and she went right to bed. I even stayed next door to her room for a half hour, waiting to hear her climb out or move around, but she didn't move a muscle. I know we might not always have such good luck with the "big-girl bed", but tonight we couldn't have asked for anything better. I hope the bell jar/binky systems (bribes) keep holding strong.


She is such a big girl!