Monday, December 8, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Last night, Jade and I had a short church meeting to go to [tithing settlement], so we decided to leave Tinky out of her prison, since we were only going to be gone 15-20 minutes. Well, imagine my surprise when I come home and find my front room in disarray, giftwrap strewn about, and a empty box of See's Candies. Apparently Tink got bored and started tearing open presents, then found a jackpot. Not only did she eat the entire POUND of chocolate, she also devoured a decent amount of wrapping paper. But Tink was acting absolutely normal. I immediately freaked out, having been told that chocolate is like cyanide for dogs, and we called our brother-in-law's cousin who is a vet, to see if we should take her to the emergency room. He told us to relax, and induce vomiting, and she would be just fine. Apparently it is dark cocoa that is toxic to dogs, and a dog would have to eat a large amount of straight baker's chocolate to affect him. Tink only ate milk chocolate, and since she is so big, the only thing we would need to worry about is diarrhea [lovely]. So, we forced her to drink a cup of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting (the vet's directions, not our own idea), and within a minute or two, she threw up 13 times. You would not believe how much throw-up there was, what with all the chocolate, nuts, caramels, and giftwrap. After that, she went and ate dinner, and acted like nothing ever happened.

After her chocolate dinner, she needed dessert, so she got her bone.
She fell asleep with it in her mouth.
My darling little glutton.

5 comments:

SUZANNE said...

Ohhhh man, now that's a doozie! That was like a movie or something...glad Tink is on the mend. Now if you were like me (less organized) and didn't have not one present wrapped, perhaps she wouldn't have been tempted to tear into all your holiday splendor! :)

Unknown said...

Holy Cow...what a nightmare! I'm glad Tink is better, though. I can't tell you how many times we came home to find that our dog had eaten some insane amount of something she wasn't supposed to have! I guess it makes for more interesting days!

Randi said...

I don't know if I would have the heart to make her drink hydrogen peroxide! You're a good mommy.

Jerai Moulton said...

She fell asleep with the bone in her mouth!!! Classic! I'm glad that Jason was able to help you guys!

Anonymous said...

We miss that Tink! How funny! Well I am sure it wasn't funny at the time. I am sure sometimes you wish for a Dutchess! J/K! We miss seeing those two together. So hilarious! I am glad that everything is okay with Tink.